Confession; I had been praying that God would make us move to another place for several years now. I feel somewhat guilty admitting that since we live in really one of the most beautiful places in the country.
However, living in the Bay Area has its challenges and although it’s where I grew up, I wasn’t sure that this is where I wanted to raise my family. So my prayers have gone something like this, “but Lord, it’s just way too liberal here, can’t you move us to a place where it’s not an anything goes kind of lifestyle and where faith isn’t so taboo?”, “but really God, it’s just so expensive here and there are just so many negative influences and pressure for the kids”, or “Lord can’t we just move somewhere where there are more people who love you too?” (And it didn’t help that we would watch House Hunters and see that we could pretty much get house that was twice as big for half the price somewhere else.)
Yup, those were my prayers and I thought they were good, legitimate prayers and yet He didn’t answer them. I decided that since He wasn’t moving us anywhere else for the time being, I should probably make do with what we had, right that’s kind of the Christian thing to do, being content and all that?
So my prayers changed and became that God would change my heart and help me to be grateful for what we had HERE. These prayers He did answer.
- He reminded me that we live in a part of the country that has mild climate and though I sometimes get bummed because we don’t get a ton of sunshine, we also don’t get snow or crazy hot weather.
- He reminded that though we live in a part of the country that has a high cost of living, He has still provided us with the opportunity for me to be home with our children and now, even be able to homeschool them.
- He reminded me that though we could get a bigger house somewhere else, He has given us a really great one here and has allowed me to slowly turn it into a home and provided opportunities to share it with others.
- He reminded me that even though there are pressures and negative influences for our children, this is true in most places and He has provided us with like-minded families as friends not only to our children but to my husband and I as well.
- He reminded me that there ARE others here who love Him and that we are part of a great family of believers in our church. And He has allowed me to serve Him there and be a blessing to others in our community.
- He reminded me that if we live in darkness, we are called to be the light.
He may still have a move planned for us some time in the future, I really don’t know. And if He does, we will be obedient and go. But for now, I am making the choice to not think about what we are missing but to focus on what we DO have because it is good. He is good.
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28